Adult Sunday School Classes
Find your place! Sunday Morning Groups meet from 10:10-11:05. All classes welcome newcomers, frequent guests, and church members.
- Taylor Building, 2nd floor, 407
- This group is for parents or grandparents in the midst of parenting youth and includes discussion, special study series, and scripture readings to help discern God’s love and guidance – for us and our kids! Come join us to support each other and our youth through their challenging and wonderful preteen and teenage years!
- This fall, PTT will explore how to talk to our youth about prejudice and tolerance and how we can help them deal with the violence that seems so prevalent in our country and constantly floods...
- Taylor Building, 2nd floor, 404-405
- Our Sunday morning fellowship group is largely made up of parents with younger children. We focus on strengthening family ties – within the family and between families - through church fellowship. We enjoy lively discussion on a variety of topics, usually following a short video segment from prominent scholars like Rob Bell or Andy Stanley. The group enjoys monthly social gatherings, some adults only and some with the children. Check us out! All are welcome.
- We especially invite all to join us for the the...
- Wyatt Hall (202-203)
This group of adults, who often find themselves “bridging” generations (young adult children and aging parents) as well as the transitions of life, support each other and explore the bridges over which we must cross if we are to walk humbly with our Lord. Most classes are a video and discussion-based format based on the work of scholars and writers like Armand Nicholi, Rick Warren, Max Lucado, etc. Come build, and navigate, bridges with us! You are always welcome.
- Building M Room 133
- Journeys is a Sunday morning fellowship group that studies and advocates for social justice issues, in keeping with Christian values in the context of our own lives. This is done through outreach efforts, educational events, and personal ministry. The group is made up of single and married adults who share a passion for social justice ministries. We study issues in depth, such as foundational beliefs of Methodism, Christianity and other world religions, interfaith relations, same-sex marriage and ministry, and immigration/border...
This class welcomes visitors and those whose schedules make regular attendance difficult. We have weekly topics of discussion that confront the news headlines with scripture and hope. We use The Wired Word (weekly electronic publication) to bring current events into our faith discussions. We have social gatherings and usually participate in any Sunday morning special series offered by other groups at the church. All are welcome.
- Building M Room 134
All are welcome in the Fellowship Class, a place of personal relationships. We build on existing ones and are always looking for new people to join us in Christian fellowship. Our members generally have college age or grown children. Our programs cover a wide range of topics that move between several categories throughout the year. Programming is based on DVD studies produced by noted commentators – Andy Stanley, Adam Hamilton, John Ortberg , etc., typically with equal time for video and facilitated discussion. Class members come...
- Taylor Building downstairs Room 403
- Has reading the Bible been on your to do list for too long? Would a small group discussion format help you engage and focus on the “greatest book ever written“? Consider joining older adults who enjoy fellowship and spirited discussion as we seek to understand the Bible and scripture in a modern context. The class is named in honor of Preston Wyatt, one of the founders of Westlake United Methodist Church in 1976. Lessons are based on the Methodist Adult Bible Studies Series. Regular and large print materials are provided....
Weekday Small Group Opportunities
Church Library, 1st/3rd Thursdays, Noon
Mom to Mom is a multi-generational group of mothers/grandmothers who come together twice each month for thought provoking discussions that provide mutual mentorship, support and friendship. Our goal is to energize, equip, and encourage each other in our roles as wives, mothers, grandmothers, and children of God! Bring a lunch. Childcare provided in Room 400. Join us!
What we do: We engage and energize women through our relationships with one another, and we equip and encourage young women in their roles of wife, mother and child of God. We are a group of dedicated moms of children from birth to fifth grade.
How we do it
- Bible-based teaching on parenting, marriage and spiritual growth.
- Small groups of young moms led by experienced mentors.
- Loving and serving one another.
We will begin our fall lessons on September 12th.
Church Library, Thursdays, 1:30 PM
Heart to Heart is a weekly, one hour spiritual discussion group for women. Max Lucado and other religious writers – and often their videos – lead us to purposeful, Bible guided living. From time to time we have undertaken special service projects and occasionally we take excursions. Please join us!more
Join us at our first fall meeting on September 24th.
Taylor Bldg.- Room 401, 4th Tuesdays, 9:30 AM
Westlake United Methodist Church has an active senior circle of UMW that meets monthly. Members take turns providing light refreshments. After a devotional and short Bible lesson, UMW recommended books for home reading are introduced and borrowed. Table games continue until noon.more
Wellness and Support
- Church Library, Thursdays, 3:00 PM
- This group of adults meets weekly for meditation practice. There is an hour and a half of teaching and discussion, followed by about 20 minutes of guided practice. The group is open to everyone, whether you think you can meditate or not! Come have a good time and find support in your spiritual practice.
- This group is led by Mary Christopher, who has more than 40 years experience practicing and teaching meditation, and is still “practicing”! If you have questions, please call Mary at 512-694-0643.