To volunteer with Children, Youth and Vulnerable Adults you must be Safety Trained. Our safety training curriculum is a three step process that we are happy to guide you through! This training certifies you to safely volunteer for 2 years.
After 2 years you will get an email to renew your certification with a 1 hour new training webinar.
Step 1: Registration, Background check, References check & Payment
Go to https://safegatherings.com/app/registration and fill out the information needed to fully register.
- On the second page there is a small box you can check for driving record check. Please check this box and provide the information needed if you think you will ever, even once, drive for children, youth or vulnerable adults ministries event.
- It will ask you for your social security number to run the background check.
- This process asks for 3 references. Pastor Tracey will automatically receive one reference request.
- The second reference is for another pastor. Pastor Curt Davis is available for this reference.
- The third reference is a Professional Reference. You are welcome to use any of the WUMC staff or another personal reference you choose.
- If you are able, we ask that you cover the cost of the background check so that Westlake UMC can continue to fully fund the ministries we do. However, we are happy to reimburse you as we cannot do ministry without your excellent volunteer help!
- If you checked for a driving record fee as well, the total will be $20.50
- If you did not check for a driving record then the total is $10.00
Step 1A: Register for your in person/webinar training
Find a time that works best for you.
- Go to https://riotexas.org/safetrainings and scroll 3/4ths down the page. There will be a list of either in person and online webinar trainings you can sign up for. Find the one (whether in person or online) that works best for you. Click on it and register for the spot you want because they fill up quickly.
- This event is always 2 hours long. Both in person training and Live Online Facilitated Session are two hours long.
- Once you have your spot reserved then move onto Step 2 below to do the Safety Training Course. Ideally before you attend the in person/webinar training, but this order is not a requirement.
Step 2: Online Training Course
- Go to https://safegatherings.com/app/login and log in.
- This will bring you to your application status page. At the bottom there is a blue button that says “Click here for Training Course”. Click!
- This will bring you to the online, at your own pace, training pages. There are 12 "modules" and each module has a certain number of “pages” or slides. You must read or listen through each page of the training course because quiz questions are sprinkled throughout to make sure you’re still reading/listening.
- After you have finished all the modules, click on the “Test for Review” at the end. After the test you are finished with this step.
Step 3: Go to your In Person or Online Facilitated Safety Session
This lasts for two hours.
- Haven’t picked out a date/time? go back up to Step 1A above and follow the directions to register for a session.
If you have done all these steps you should get an email that you are Safety Trained! and WUMC will get an email too. Thank you!
If you have questions along the way please feel free to contact Kellie Brewer